Monday, June 18, 2012

This Could Be A Problem: Coconut Chocolate Mousse

Holy crap, this is ridiculously delicious. I've made it twice with better results each time after some small modifications. I used Golden Star brand coconut milk, and while I put it in the fridge overnight, I didn't leave it uncovered; I didn't want it to end up tasting like the inside of my fridge. I would recommend not using any of the liquid that remains at the bottom of the can. And don't be like me: I got a little aggressive with my spatula while trying to coax the solid milk out of the can and ended up splashing a pretty healthy amount of coconut water all over myself. And my kitchen counters. And the floor. Coconut is oily. It was awesome.

The recipe needs sugar! I used a smattering of Stevia the first time and a few tablespoons of powdered sugar the second time around and neither time was it sweet enough for me. I would use at least 1/4 cup of a dry sweetener, and I think powdered sugar and Stevia are the best choices. For the second trial, I crumbled up some shortbread to sprinkle on the top and the texture it added was great. I used my hand-mixer both times to get a great whipped/mousse consistency and then I put it in the freezer to set up a little further. The freezer step might not be necessary if you omitted the remaining liquid.

The best part about this recipe is that aside from tasting delicious, it's made with healthy, good-for-you coconut milk and it's dairy-free, ensuring that my son can enjoy it along with the rest of us. This will be a staple dessert in our house.

Link to the original Pin

Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment