Monday, June 25, 2012

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats


Steel cut oats in the slow cooker. Yes, please.
I adore crock pot cooking for about a million reasons, not the least of which is the dump-it-and-forget-it aspect. This recipe for overnight steel cut oats is nothing short of brilliant and absolutely delicious. I've made it twice now with varying results but the issue is not the recipe, rather my old crock pot that was in the midst of a long, slow, tortured death.

The offending crock pot chose to take a big fat dump while I was at work a few weeks ago. I anticipated coming home to a kitchen that smelled of delicious southwest chicken to be served over rice with cheese, green chiles and sour cream.  Rather, I arrived home to a blackened, acrid smelling, unrecognizable hunk of dehydrated chicken and what was at one time a jar of salsa and some taco seasonings. After a rather unceremonious tossing of said crock pot into the dumpster, I vowed to splurge on a beautiful new slow cooker. Or at least borrow my sister's.

But back to the overnight oats. They're delicious and I can see this being a staple in our family during the cold months. The original recipe doesn't make as much as I thought it might so I'll double it in the future. This will allow for leftovers that I can bring along to work. And I think you could easily freeze leftovers in single-serving containers, just add a little liquid when re-heating. We love hot breakfasts at our house and the versatility of the recipe will work greatly in my favor. It's also easy enough that my kids can help prepare; as every parent knows, kids are far more likely to eat something that they've had a hand in making.

Let me know if you try the recipe and what you used to flavor it. And how did your kids like it?

Link to the original Pin







No comments:

Post a Comment