Monday, July 16, 2012

Scar-fading Miracle Mask?

I'm always up for trying homemade beauty treatments. I mean, who wouldn't want to claim responsibility for the production of their own beauty regimen resulting in beautiful, clear, porcelain-esque skin? I decided to try out a nutmeg-honey-lemon-cinnamon mask that promised to rid my face of any acne scars and clear up/prevent future blemishes. Knowing that all of the aforementioned ingredients are renowned for their healing and beneficial properties, I was sure that this one was going to be a keeper.

To start off, making the mask is a giant pain in the ass. Honey and lemon mix together just fine; add in the cinnamon and nutmeg and you might as well be trying to get oil and water to play nice. I tried stirring it together; then I used a whisk; then I tried to break up the powder bubbles with my fingers. Eventually I gave up and just stirred the whole concoction with my hands, kneading it like bread dough. Note the hot mess that ensued from the preparation.

And I like nutmeg just as much as the next girl; I'm a big fan of freshly grated nutmeg sprinkled over my fettuccine alfredo or in my hot chocolate on a cold day in the fall. But that's where my fanaticism ends. Turns out, the incredibly strong scent of nutmeg radiating from my face for 30 minutes was enough to trigger a migraine. No joke, I kept sniffing around my house, trying to find what smelled like mildew until I realized it was my own face. Just wash it off! you might be saying. Nay! I will suffer endlessly for the sake of genuine experiences in the name of journalism.

The original blogger, whose recipe I used, does make note of the fact that the mask burns "a little." Yep, I was gritting my teeth and my eyes were watering the entire time. My face was really red and irritated when I rinsed off the mask and it took two days before my skin felt normal again.

All in all, this magical scar-fading mask ate up an hour of my life that I will never get back and gave me a headache the likes of which made me want to vomit. I'd have to say, this one didn't make the cut.

Link to original Pin


No comments:

Post a Comment